I wish I knew this before starting my Ph.D research
It's the beginning of the year, and as I look back at the last couple of them I have learned a great deal during this time: about my research subject as well as the nature and nitty-gritty of doing research. The latter knowledge, perhaps, being more essential in the long run. I believe these learnings will resonate with most of the researchers who have traversed this path and could be relevant to young researchers who are just starting their careers. A little mental preparedness as to what is coming ahead is always helpful. So, here, I am listing down the top 5 important lessons that I learned from my research career:
2. Data is noisy
Ever dream of curves where all data points would fall in a line? Well, open your eyes and forget that dream! Research is all about noisy data. In fact, most scientists would raise eyebrows at very clean data and think that it is likely fudged! Noise can be reduced but not completely eradicated. As a matter of fact, noise can sometimes lead to very interesting insights. So, don’t worry too much about noisy data or that imperfect curve, and take your data with a pinch of noise!
3. Negative results are still results
Do you have nightmares about negative results? Well! These nightmares are often the reality of research life. But, don’t feel sorry or sad if you regularly come across them. Instead, take them as opportunities to think of alternative scenarios. Make sure to get over the negativity quickly, at max, a night, or over your favorite beverage. Accept it and move on; that’s the best you can do. In fact, try to look at it positively, they could still be results that help you rule out certain hypotheses or provide newer small challenges. After all, somewhere deep inside, all researchers love challenges.
4. Research is a lot about troubleshooting
Whether you are starting a new experiment or repeating one, sometimes an experiment may not work at all! Reasons could be numerous and that’s where troubleshooting becomes essential. It is important to understand that you cannot escape troubleshooting and it is quite likely that you would spend a significant amount of your research time doing just that! Since you can’t avoid it, keep your calm and remember, a little thoughtfulness, vigilance and an understanding of what each step does in your experiment can be very helpful to get that experiment working like it should! Another critical piece of advice about troubleshooting: change ONE thing at a time while troubleshooting, or you will never know what just did trick!
I loved how you kept it simple yet honest from Data analysis to interpretations. It's a insightful written piece. Keep writing :)
ReplyDeleteThank you. Next piece coming soon, stay tuned!
Delete